Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Forever 21 is the ultimate class equalizer.

Anthropologie is suing F21 for ripping off their designs (as are Anna Sui, Gwen Stefani aka LAMB, DVF, and other fashion bigwigs). As if these designers didn't ultimately rip off their ideas from others as well. And it's not like the factories aren't right next door to each other - F21's and high-end designers'.

The most important part of this story is the fact that I can't afford to buy the crap that LAMB or Anthro sells or at least not on a regular basis. I can afford to shop at F21. I love how all these fashion gurus think only really wealthy people should be able to dress well. I like clothes. I like nice clothes. I like style. I cannot, however, afford to spend $100-$200 on a trendy, cotton top from the pretties listed above. I can buy one at F21 for less than $20 though. I know it won't last more than a few washes, and I know I'm likely to have to sew a button back on. But give me a break. For a trendy summer shirt that isn't going to last longer than one season, what difference does it make?

While I don't always like F21 (and I certainly don't like their Bible verse printed on the bottom of every bag), I'm with them on this fight. Bringing fakes to the masses is a fight I can get behind.

No comments: